As of the 24th August 2016 the following VMware products are officially “End of General Support” and will enter a 2 year period of “Technical Guidance”
- VMware vCenter Server 5.0 and 5.1
- VMware ESXi 5.0 and 5.1
- VMware vCenter Update Manager 5.0 and 5.1
- VMware vSphere Replication 5.0 and 5.1
- VMware Site Recovery Manager 5.0 and 5.1
- VMware vSphere Data Protection
- VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced 5.0 and 5.1
This means that even with a support agreement, VMware will no longer offer updates and upgrades, bug and security features of those products. VMware will no longer offer assistance via telephone support however during the “Technical Guidance Phase” VMware will accept support requests for low severity issues via their online portal. The self-help portal will also be available during this period. The VMTN is always a useful resource if you require assistance from the community but it is strongly advised to ensure your support contract is valid and upgrade to a supported release.
For full details on VMware supported products, please see my other blog post here.